Important Dates for 2018-19 Course Selection
Monday, January 8 thru Wednesday, January 10 Teacher Advisement Days. Teachers of freshmen through juniors will provide students with information, advise them and make recommendations for next year (some teachers will have done this at the end of first semester)
Wednesday, January 10, 2018 During health, PE, driver ed or JROTC classes, Shepard Counselors will provide students with the information packets they will need to choose their courses for next year.
Thursday, January 11 - January 24 Connect to the Right Electives FAC Presentations!
See the schedule in the document below. Attend one or all of these sessions during the first 10 - 20 minutes of your lunch period to get more information about electives that could be the right fit for you!
Friday, January 12, 2018 Counselors will begin meeting with students individually during their English classes to help them finalize their course selections; the schedule will be in the packets that they will receive on January 10th and is posted on this webpage below.
Friday, February 2nd, 2018 Last day to finalize 2018-19 Course Selections. All applications and documents must be turned in to Counseling by this date. (ie Jr. Leadership applications, Senior work program applications, Independent Study Forms).
February, March & April Students and parents are able to view future courses entered into Skyward by looking in the Graduation Requirements screen. This is the time when the Master Schedule is planned and no requests for changes can be made.
May 1 - 22 Students who have changed their minds about courses for next year may request to see their counselor. Every effort will be made to make the requested changes if there are seats available. It is very important to make wise and thoughtful choices in January so that the district can plan enough seats in requested courses but if goals and interests change, this is the time to meet with the counselor to discuss possible changes.
Resources for 2018-19 Course Selection
Resources to help students make wise decisions about their future courses
- 2018-19 Course Selection Guide: see document in the right hand column
- Career Cruising: use the Course Planner to see detailed Course Descriptions and add them to your plan! See link under Student Resources on main webpage
- Worksheets: See documents below
- Videos and other promotional materials
- Pathways of Study: Sample 4 year plans related to various Career areas
- Connect to the Right Electives FAC Presentations Schedule
- Find out how to earn college credit while still in high school! See the dual credit info on the Career Counseling tab on the right
- Find out how to earn industry certifications while still in high school! See Certifications in CTE on the Career Counseling tab
Worksheets and Department Handouts
Worksheets below for each grade level must be completed, signed and returned to the student's counselor on the day of their one on one meeting. See worksheets attached below. Sophomore worksheet is for Freshmen to use to plan for Sophomore year, etc.