Mr. Dan Hennigan, a teacher at Shepard High School, is training Roger to be a therapy dog for the school district.
What does a therapy dog provide in the school?
- Research has shown that interactions with a therapy dog improves mood boosting oxytocin and decreases our stress hormone cortisol.
- Decrease learning anxiety and improvements in goal areas that include reading and writing
- Increased student attendance
- Positive improvements towards educational outcomes and motivation towards school
What will Roger be doing in the school district?
- Roger will greet both students and staff and help reduce daily stress and anxiety
- Supportive of mental health by providing assistance and comfort
- Roger will be used to improve students' social, emotional, and cognitive functioning by building a connection.
- Roger will teach empathy and compassion to others.
Calcaterra V, Veggiotti P, Palestrini C, De Giorgis V, Raschetti R, Tumminelli M, et al. (2015) Post-Operative Benefits of Animal-Assisted Therapy in Pediatric Surgery: A Randomised Study. PLoS ONE 10(6): e0125813. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0125813